I am now a member of The Knitting Guild Association.
I am also one of the newest participants of the Master Hand Knitting, Level 1 course. This is not a course in teaching me how to knit, but to test my skills and knowledge. From my Instructions (Copyright tkga, 04/07)
This level of the Master Hand Knitting Program tests your abilities to:
- Research different techniques
- Accurately follow directions and patterns
- Knit garter, rib, stockinette, seed, and reverse stockinette stitch patterns with even tension
- Space increases evenly
- Mirror increases
- Mirror decreases
- Make yarnovers
- Knit simple cables
- Change colors
- Weave in yarn tails properly
- Write simple patterns
- Knit a simple hat in the round
- Properly block swatches
- Discuss blocking techniques and care of knitted items
Currently, while doing other things as well, starting to practice swatch #1.
If the program interests you, a couple things I have learned:
- Read the "On Your Way to the Masters, Article Archive". There are great articles to help understand the program and techniques.
- Use the TKGA Message board. There are useful conversations there.